Table of Contents Hide
Safari is a great browser for surfing but not all the times the best browser for productivity. There are a lot of negative points such as no extension feature, multiple accounts, and syncing. In such cases, you can always change the default browser on a mac computer and redirect any incoming links to a fully functional third-party browser. Likewise, you may have accidentally set up a third-party browser as the default web browser and now want to revert back to safari.
I kept chrome as my default browser unknowingly during the installation. Now every time I click on any link, I am redirected to the chrome browser. I want to switch back to Safari. Any help?
In this guide, you will learn how to change the default browser on mac from safari to third-party browsers and vice versa.
You may also like,
- 21 Best MacBook Pro Accessories in 2020
- Wifi Down? [Fix] Wifi Connected No Internet Using These Steps
Change the Default Browser on a Mac Device –
You can change the default browser on mac using two methods; these methods are applicable on all almost all the newer versions of mac OS (Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra).
[Method-1] Using the System Preferences (Best Method)
- Click on the apple icon on the Mac menu bar and select System preferences.
- Select the General option from the available menu.
- You will now find an option to change the default web browser. Click and select from the available web browsers to choose a default web browser.
- Now the default web browser is changed on your Mac device.
Note: Changing the default web browser on your mac; you need to have a third-party web browser such as Chrome or Firefox installed.
[Method-2] Using the Browser – Change Chrome Web Browser as Default Web Browser on a Mac Device
You can also change the default web browser on a mac using the browser itself. There are several browsers and each individual browser has it’s own method to set it as the default web browser. For Chrome, follow the below steps –
- Open the Chrome web browser on your mac device.
- Click on the three-dot menu on the right and select settings from the menu.
- Scroll down the “You and Google” menu and you can find the option “default web browser“.
- Tap on “Make Default” and now chrome is set as the default web browser on your mac device.
These were the two methods to change the default web browser on mac devices. Both methods are easy and can be used to change any web browser on a mac as default. Using the first method, you can change any web browser as default whereas the second method is similar to almost all kinds of web browsers.