A short video platform-based TikTok app is in news after a series of controversies. This time it is not the data selling but the creators who have dug the pit for the scandalous app which is accused of discouraging talents. After social media battles on which is the best app among TikTok and YouTube, the Audience has actively disgraced the TikTok app with a lot of memes and gifs. But things won’t change and if you are willing to delete the TikTok account for privacy or just need a break then this guide is for you.
Table of contents –
- Deactivate your TikTok account
- Download your data
- Permanently delete the TikTok account
- Digital wellbeing on the TikTok app
- How to report video on TikTok?
How to Deactivate your TikTok account?
TikTok has been around for a while. If you are spending a lot of time and need a break for personal reasons then you can enable digital wellbeing or simply deactivate your account. There are many good reasons for deactivating your account and here are some –
- You won’t lose your videos
- Your followers won’t be lost
- You can use the same account to sign in
Once your account is deleted you cannot retrieve it or sign in again using the same account details. Also, all your followers, videos, and other data will be lost. So, knowing much about the difference between deactivating and deleting your account, let us see how to deactivate your TikTok account.
- Open the TikTok app on your device and click on the profile from the left bottom.
- Now, click on the three-dot menu on the right top to access the menu and then click on manage accounts.
- Here you can find the “Delete Account” option which you have to click. This will ask for verification and confirmation.
Your account will be temporarily deactivated for 28 days after which it will be automatically deleted. So, if you wish to reactivate your account, you can simply sign-in back to TikTok on your mobile during these 28 days after which your data will be gone for the good.
Also read: Best Netflix Series To Watch
In these 28 days, your account will not be shown to any of the users and all your videos will be private. If you wish to use it restrictedly then you can enable the digital wellbeing feature offered by the TikTok app and instead not delete the TikTok account. To know how to use TikTok with digital wellbeing, click here.
How to Download your Data Before Deleting the TikTok App?
The right way to delete any social media account is to first download your data and then delete your account. This is pretty easy with the TikTok app too, all you need to do is follow the below steps.
- Open the menu by clicking the three dots on the right top of your profile.
- Click on privacy and safety to access the privacy menu. Here you can find tons of options that let you use TikTok safely. You can restrict people from making duets with you, allow if your videos can be downloaded or who can send you messages, and many more.
- Now click on Personalisation and Data.
- You will now get an option to download your data where you can request the data file which may take up to 30 days to process.
- Download the data to your phone.
Once the data file is requested, it will be present for up to 4 days on your TikTok account. After 4 days, your data will be automatically deleted. So, make sure you download your data before it is lost.
Also read: Best Call Recorder Apps
This data includes your personal information such as profile (username, photo, bio, contact), your activity (Your videos, comments, history, likes), and app settings (privacy, notifications, and language settings).
How to Permanently Delete the TikTok account using the app?
- Open your profile and click on the three-dot menu.
- Download your data using these steps.
- Once your data is downloaded on your phone, click on manage accounts.
- The manage account sub-menu has an option to “Delete account”, press the delete account button to proceed.
- Now, complete the procedure by verifying your identity based on what you used to sign-up (Instagram, Facebook, Mail, Apple Id, etc).
Your TikTok account is now temporarily deactivated and will be permanently deleted after 28 days. During this period, you can retrieve your account using these steps.
How to Properly use Digital wellbeing on the TikTok app?
If you are loving the TikTok app but are sort of addicted to it and want to restrict your use. You can simply enable the digital wellbeing on your account which lets you be more productive in other activities.
Enabling digital wellbeing is simple and easy on the TikTok app and you can use it against deleting or deactivating your TikTok account. Follow these simple steps to enable digital wellbeing on your account –
- Click the three-dot menu on the right-top of your profile to access the menu.
- Scroll down and look for Digital Wellbeing. Click Digital wellbeing.
- Set your preferences such as screen time management, restricted mode, and family paring.
With the screen time management feature, you can set the time you spend on TikTok and control the usage. This is an important digital wellbeing feature that takes care of people not spending much time using their phone doing nothing.
Also read: Best Video Editing Apps
There are different time limits you can set for screen time management on your TikTok account. The time limits are listed below –
- 40 minutes
- 60 minutes
- 90 minutes
- 120 minutes
After this time is consumed, you need to enter a passcode to continue using the TikTok app.
The second digital wellbeing feature offered by the TikTok app is the restrict mode. Using this feature, you can limit what type of content is visible to you and content which is not appropriate.
You may still find some inappropriate video in the restrict mode which you can report using the report feature. To report a video on TikTok, follow these steps.
The third important digital wellbeing feature on the TikTok app is the family feature. Here, you can pair your account with your family and they can control what you see and how you use the TikTok app. This feature is much like the parental control feature and it helps in monitoring what type of content the kids are exposed to on the TikTok app.
So, if you don’t want to delete the TikTok account and just want to reduce the addiction and type of content you see on it. You can simply deactivate for some days or try using the digital wellbeing to reduce addiction and exposure.
How to Report Video on TikTok?
Reporting a video on TikTok is one of the most important features which users should use. If you find an inappropriate video and want to report it, then follow these steps –
- Click on the Share button of the video you want to report.
- Now you can click on the flag button and report the video if it is inappropriate.
- You will be taken to a new page where you have to select the reason and submit the report.
- The video will be analyzed and removed if found inappropriate.
Overall, it is a straight forward and simple guide to delete your TikTok account. There are many allegations on data trading and now there are only a series of allegations left, it is better to find an alternative to this Chinese app. Make sure you download your data before deleting the account. If you just want to reduce the addiction then you can use other options such as digital wellbeing and deactivating your TikTok account rather than deleting it. TikTok doesn’t have much control over the type of content users publish so it is better to report videos if you find them inappropriate.
You may also like,