Have an AirPods but don’t know its model or if it is genuine or fake? This guide is all that you need.
Apple AirPods is one of the go-to choices for Apple lovers, and there is no reason for it not to be. With features like noise cancellation, spatial audio, longer battery life, and MagSafe charging, AirPods stand well in the wireless earphone industry. However, there is more than one AirPods model by Apple, and they pretty much look alike but differ in features.
With so many AirPods models, figuring out which one you own can be confusing. To make it easier for you to understand what AirPods model you own or if they are real or fake AirPods, we compiled this guide, and it is all you need.
Quick Tip: You get free engraving on your AirPods when you buy them from Apple’s website. Here are some funny and cool engraving ideas for your new AirPods.
How to Identify your AirPods Model | The Handy Tips
There are several ways to determine the model of your AirPods, including the physical differences between each variant, checking the settings on your device, and using the model number. In this guide, we’ll provide you with a detailed answer on how to check the model of your AirPods so you can quickly find out the model you have and decide how to utilize and take care of them.
1. Check the iPhone Settings to know your Airpods Model
Thankfully, Apple allows you to directly check what AirPods model you have using your iPhone or iPad devices. You can find the complete details about your AirPods, such as MagSafe support, Ear Tip Fit test, and what model they are, by using the Bluetooth settings.
If you are unaware of how to check your AirPods model using the iPhone or iPad Settings, here are a few steps that you can use.
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone and then look for “Bluetooth” settings.
- Select your AirPods from the list of available devices.
- To view the model number and other relevant information, tap on the “i” icon alongside your Airpods label.
- Now you can see all the details of your AirPods, including the model number.
Once you have the model number, you can use it to compare it with the list of AirPods models from Apple’s official website, or you can use our handy AirPods model table below.
|AirPods (1st generation)
|AirPods (2nd generation)
|AirPods (3rd generation)
|AirPods Pro (2nd generation)
|A2931, A2699, A2698
2. Check the AirPods themselves for the Model Number
One of the other ways to know what AirPods model you have is to check its model number using the case or the AirPods themselves. On the AirPods and AirPods Pro models, you can find the model number on the underside of each left and right AirPod. On the other hand, for AirPods Max, you can find the model number underneath the left cushion.
Once you have the model number, you can compare it with the list of AirPods models on Apple’s website or use the table from the above section and know what AirPods model you own.
Also read: How to Fix Apple CarPlay Not Working?
However, can you differentiate between the AirPods models just by holding them?
3. Understanding the Physical Differences Between Each AirPods Variant
If you find checking the AirPods model number to be a tedious task and want to quickly distinguish between AirPods just by holding them, you can always use the visual differences.
Here are some basic differences between each AirPods model to quickly distinguish between them.
There are three Apple AirPods models: AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max.
Since they don’t have any removable parts, AirPods are the most basic-looking of the three. With the AirPods, you won’t have to deal with ear cushions or tips. The original AirPods have a distinctive, white earbud design with a stem that extends down from the earbud. They are designed to fit comfortably in the ear without the need for ear tips or other fittings, and they come with a charging case that holds and charges the earbuds when they are not in use.
As in-ear monitors (IEMs), AirPods Pro is designed to fit directly into your ear canal. They have an outwardly protruding upperside to seal off the ear and offer a more immersive user experience. To make them more comfortable for your ears, the AirPods Pro comes with ear tips in three different sizes, and the case is larger in width than before.
The AirPods Max is the “over-ear” headphones with an elastic headband and ear cups that fit around your head to ensure that they are in position and provide a secure fit. These are in no way compact and are rather bulky, like gaming headphones that cover your head. The AirPods Max case also differs, and this Apple AirPods is easily distinguishable.
4. How to Know your AirPods Model using the Serial Number
One way to determine the model of your AirPods is by using the serial number. Each product has a unique serial number that can be tracked and used to identify it for support, repair, and distinguish purposes.
Here’s how to use the serial number on your AirPods to determine the model and other pertinent details.
- Locate the serial number of your AirPods. Based on the model of your AirPods, you can find the serial number on the underside of the lid or on the case itself. Alternatively, if you still have the official box in which your AirPods arrived, you can find the serial number printed on it or find it on the documentation inside.
- Visit the “Support” section on the Apple website and scroll down until you find the “My Support” option. Here you will need to sign in using your Apple ID.
- After signing in, you can find all your devices and look for the Apple AirPods you own from the list of devices.
- On this page, you will find information about your AirPods, including the model and date of manufacture.
The website will display the support information about your AirPods, including the model number or what type of AirPods you own.
Physical Differences between Genuine and Fake AirPods
Fake AirPods have been a real issue for those who buy AirPods from third-party or unknown sources instead of Apple. If you have been gifted AirPods or have bought one from your friend or a shady store, you might want to know if it is actually real. Here are some differences that can help you figure out if the AirPods model that you have is genuine or fake.
- Quality of materials: Genuine AirPods come with high-quality materials with a premium finish. Fake AirPods, on the other hand, may feel cheap and have a low-quality finish.
- Fit and comfort: The real AirPods fit comfortably in the ear, while fake AirPods may be uncomfortable.
- Sound quality: AirPods have high-quality audio and deliver clear, crisp sound. The excellent quality of fake AirPods may be poor, and the audio may be distorted or muffled.
- Missing features: Features like MagSafe charging, noise cancellation, and spatial audio can be missing on the fake AirPods. Always check them before you complete your purchase.
- Case design: Real AirPods cases have smooth, seamless edges, while fake AirPods may have visible seams or rough edges and feel much lighter or different when you hold them.
Never Lose your Precious Items
AirTags come in handy when you don’t want to lose your precious items and definitely not lose your AirPods. Here are some AirTag accessories to make your life easier.
How to Know If the AirPods Charging Case Supports MagSafe Charging
Do your AirPods cases support MagSafe charging? MagSafe is a convenient charging technology that allows you to charge your AirPods quickly and easily by placing your AirPods case on the wireless charger. If you are buying a wireless charger like MagEZ by Pitaka or one from Anker’s 4-in-1 wireless chargers, you might want to know if your AirPods actually support MagSafe. In case it doesn’t, buying a wireless charger can only be damaging to your pockets.
Here is how to know if your AirPods support MagSafe charging,
- Check the model number: The model number of your AirPods charging case is engraved on the underside. You can compare the model number to the list of AirPods models on Apple’s website to see if the case supports MagSafe charging.
- Check the features: On your iPhone, open the “Settings” app, then search for the “Bluetooth” settings. Choose “your AirPods” from the available devices list. Tap the “I: icon next to your AirPods label to view your airport feature. Under the charging information, you can locate the MagSafe charging option if your AirPods support it.
- Check the packaging or documentation that came with your AirPods. If MagSafe charging is listed as a feature, your AirPods support it.
- Place a magnet paper on the back of your charging case, and it should show you the number of magnets. If you can find the MagSafe charging magnets on the case, your device definitely supports it.
Note: MagSafe charging is only supported by the AirPods Pro and the 3rd-generation AirPods, as well as the AirPods (2nd generation) with Wireless Charging Case. The first-generation AirPods do not support MagSafe charging.
Also read: Does Walmart Take Apple Pay?
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
There are a couple of ways, such as checking the serial number, MagSafe charging, and model number, that can help you know what AirPods model you own.
You can find the serial number of your AirPods on the box it came with or the underside of your AirPods case.
You can know if your AirPods are real by a few distinguishable differences, such as the sound quality, the case design, fit and comfort, and more. In addition to this, you can also check for missing features, such as noise cancellation, spatial audio, and MagSafe charging.
You can know if your AirPods support MagSafe charging by checking the charging option under the “Bluetooth” settings, checking the AirPods box, or even using a magnet paper to look for MagSafe magnets.
Before you leave
Get Our Prime Content Delivered to your Inbox for Free!! Join the Ever-Growing Community… Right Now.
Give this article a quick share,
Wrapping up: Know your AirPods Model
These are some ways to know what AirPods model you have and if they are real; having a fake pair of AirPods can only empty your pocket and harm your eardrums. Also, knowing your AirPods model can help you buy the best fit for your AirPods case and cover or access features like spatial audio that only come with the pro models.
I hope to have helped you with how to know what AirPods model you own; if you have additional ways or suggestions that we can include in this list, do let us know in the comment section. Also, if you like this article, do give this a quick share on your social media handles and definitely tag us. Join our Telegram channel, Facebook page, and Twitter to never miss a quick update.